The Academic Scientific Research Computer Network of Armenia (ASNET-AM) is the National Research and Education Network (NREN) of Armenia.
Created in 1994 ASNET-AM has over 20 years of experience in Networking and Information Technologies.
The main aim of ASNET-AM is to provide state-of-the-art networking, computing and data solutions to the Academic, Scientific, Research, Educational, Cultural and other organisations of Armenia and beyond, which are preliminary engaged in scientific and educational activity.
Nowadays network interconnects more than 60 academic, scientific, research, educational, cultural and other organisations in 6 cities and locations of Armenia, integrating them with GÉANT pan-European network.
Besides providing networking facilities to the beneficiaries, the main activities of ASNET-AM include:
- Scientific Investigations in ICT
- Distributed Computing Infrastructures (DCIs) such as grids, clusters, clouds, supercomputing networks
- Scientific Computations
- Database development and processing for scientific calculations, various fields of applied science, technology, art, etc.
- Participation and support of scientific, educational, technical, cultural and other programs and projects
- Development and implementation of network management and security technologies
- IT Training and Education
The structure and policy of ASNET-AM operation was developed and implemented by the Institute for Informatics and Automation Problems (IIAP) of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia (NAS RA).
IIAP NAS RA is responsible for administration and the development of ASNET-AM since 1998 by decision of the Presidium of NAS RA. ASNET-AM network operates on the basis of IIAP NAS RA as a joint structure of several scientific centers and departments within IIAP NAS RA. ASNET-AM staff members at the same time are scientists and engineers of IIAP NAS RA.